[Openid-specs-fapi] Fwd: Letter from Vice-President Valdis Dombrovskis: Comments about Redirection

Dave Tonge dave.tonge at momentumft.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 20:15:13 UTC 2019

Big merchants will become PISPs, but its not worth it for smaller
merchants.
The UX doesn't need to be too bad though in a 4 party model - the PISP can
collect consent in a widget on the merchant site before redirecting to the
bank.

The negativity against redirection is quite strange as PSD2 essentially
brought in two competing requirements:
 - third party payment initiation
 - strong customer authentication

Those against redirect have in their mind the mental model of card based
payments where the user enters some numbers in the merchant website and
never interacts with the bank who issued the card. However all card
payments will end up having to be redirected because of the strong customer
authentication requirements - so it is a contradictory position to hold.

I think that most regulators will take a pragmatic position on this based
on whether the bank is putting up "obstacles".

Dave

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 05:09, Tom Jones via Openid-specs-fapi <