[Openid-specs-fapi] Next step(s) for W3C's PaymentRequest

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren.net at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 05:04:55 UTC 2019

Hi FAPIers,

The W3C Payment WG is rechartering and is seeking input.
Would it be possible to get your opinion on one topic which bothers me?

FAICT just about every mobile wallet vendor quite reasonably wants their product to cover as many payment scenarios as possible.
With W3C's PaymentRequest they get a fairly usable API where a Web merchant can invoke a native mobile wallet through the mobile browser.

<claim>
However, the majority of the aforementioned vendors also wants to their mobile wallet solutions to support payments where the user is rather accessing the Web with a desktop computer.
</claim>

In this case PaymentRequest is not applicable since it presumes that the mobile wallet and browser is on the *same device*.  This IMHO greatly limits the value of the PaymentRequest API.  QR is currently the de-facto standard for tying these disparate worlds together.

Assuming the above is true, an extended version of PaymentRequest supporting the MobileWallet-2-PCWeb should be considered.  In my take on the matter it would follow the WebAuthn/FIDO2 scheme using Bluetooth.

thanx,