[Openid-specs-fapi] Another work item: anonymous-point-of-sale-backchannel

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren.net at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 04:34:49 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-13 05:22, Nat Sakimura via Openid-specs-fapi wrote:
> Dear FAPIers:
>
> In today's Pacific call, we agreed to proceed with a new work item
> depicted in the proposal by Sarah as in
> https://bitbucket.org/openid/fapi/issues/147/anonymous-point-of-sale-backchannel
>
> This seems to be very relevant to a number of use cases such as Point of
> sales terminal etc.

IMO mixing payments at a POS terminal with Banking represents a problem because these use cases have quite different UX, Security, and Privacy characteristics.

It is in the diagram not evident if the Merchant is a PISP or not.

Anyway, consumer payments using FAPI will get fierce competition from already established bank-owned proprietary schemes like Swish, Vipps, MobilePay, PayLib, etc. as well as from Apple and Google.

It is (quite) possible that I'm biased since my Saturn scheme represents a "competitor" in this space. OTOH studying other designs is actually quite useful because they can serve as "inspiration" :)

Saturn is currently undergoing major overhaul since I have found out that *Account Status* and *Receipts* are needed for a state-of-the-art payment system.  The Saturn "wallet" will also use WebSocket and possibly also W3C Payment Request for further improving the (already excellent...) user experience.

Cheers,
Anders

https://cyberphone.github.io/doc/saturn/saturn-authorization.pdf
https://test.webpki.org/webpay-merchant