[Openid-specs-fapi] Identifiers, CIBA & Privacy

Dave Tonge dave.tonge at momentumft.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 18:54:07 UTC 2018

Hi Brian

Thanks for the email - I definitely need to improve the wording of this.

While both cases involve an ephemeral identifier - the difference is in
when it is bound to an actual user.
In the case you mention, the CD will obtain a transaction identifier, but
at that point it will not be bound to any user. Once that identifier is
transferred from the CD to the AD, the OP will be able to bind / connect /
correlate the identifier to the user.

To put it in more concrete terms, for OpenBanking the identifier could
actually just be an intent id, i.e. a unique identifier for the transaction
which at the time of creation is not linked to any particular user. The RP
could include that intent id in a CIBA request. But the OP wouldn't know at
that stage which user the transaction relates to. Once the identifier is
transferred from the CD to the AD, the OP would be able to link the user
and the transaction and the flow would continue.

I hope this helps.
I'll try and propose some improved wording.

Thanks

Dave