[Openid-specs-fapi] Issue #169: Add requirement for clients to verify scope value returned from the token endpoint (openid/fapi)

Dave Tonge issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Fri Aug 31 05:10:14 UTC 2018

New issue 169: Add requirement for clients to verify scope value returned from the token endpoint
https://bitbucket.org/openid/fapi/issues/169/add-requirement-for-clients-to-verify

Dave Tonge:

In part 1 we don't have authorization request and response signing and therefore as we note in the security considerations "request tampering and parameter injection are possible".

However we do require the AS to return the scopes granted from the token endpoint. We currently don't require the Client to do anything with those returned scopes.

I suggest we add a requirement for the Client to check the returned scope as this can give extra protection to this profile. For example if a "man in the browser" replaced the `scope` value in the authorization request, the Client would still be able to detect this when retrieving the access token.

This isn't a problem for part 2