[Openid-specs-fapi] FYI: PSD2 RTS adopted: Online payment standards still face obstacles

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren.net at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 05:22:39 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-29 21:02, Nat Sakimura via Openid-specs-fapi wrote:
> Quote:
>
> EBF however does not consider the ‘fall-back’ solution adopted by the Commission as a practicable. The criteria that would trigger the fall-back appear to be incompatible with operational reality. This solution also does not a…
>
> http://www.ebf.eu/psd-rts-adopted-online-payment-standards-still-face-obstacles/

A fly in the soup is that there is no known SCA activity in countries like the UK, France, or Germany.

The Swedish banks OTOH, have had a fully deployed (mandatory) SCA since 1994.

In France the new aggressive government (LREM) have [correctly] realized that they are light-years behind "e-Estonia" and therefore recently launched an ambitious 5-year "catch-up" plan.  However, the major banks in France happily continue with paper checks [1] and similar stuff which Scandinavians haven't seen in a decade or more.

Standing on my soapbox [2]: "Consumer Payments" <<>> "Payments in the context of Banking".  A PSD2 train wreck is in the making.  The Scandinavian banks wont fall into this trap since they have already created dedicated payment APIs and associated systems.

Anders

1] https://www.credit-agricole.com/chaines-thematiques/toutes-les-chaines-d-info-du-groupe-credit-agricole/innovation-et-relation-client/encaisser-ses-cheques-avec-son-mobile-c-est-pour-bientot

2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soapbox