[Openid-specs-fapi] FAPI support for Bookings, Reservations, Etc. ?

Tom Jones thomasclinganjones at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 18:20:17 UTC 2017

I thought i was directly addressing that point. I guess the problem, as
usual, is one of semantics.

Banking originally applied to depository financial institutions (DFI) only.
The banks were fiduciary holders of funds on the behalf of depositors.
That is the basis for the financial regulations of the first 1/3 of the
20th century.
Customers issued bank drafts (checks) against their funds, those were
payments to the holder of the draft.
Bank cards allows account holders access to their funds 24x7 at ATMs.

Consumer payments originally applied to credit card accounts which were
approved drafts signed by the holder of the account.
This started to change with the initiation of MOTO - mail order telephone
order - payments.
But the big change occurred when banks learned that they could make more
money from fees than from deposits.

Today i guess i would say that "banking" is anything that the account
holder initiates on his own behalf.
Payments are anything that an FI does against a user account that does not
have an immediate consumer draft as back up.

Clearly the banks want to move us to a brave new world where they do things
to our account and declaim any responsibility if anything goes wrong.
Check some of Ross Anderson's articles if you disagree with that statement.
It seems to date that all apis approved by the banks are in furtherance of
such an movement.
In particular that means that if an aggregator can "write" to the bank, it
is no long in the realm of "banking".

Peace ..tom