[Openid-specs-fapi] The reasons behind requiring PKCE for confidential clients?

Torsten Lodderstedt torsten at lodderstedt.net
Fri Aug 25 09:15:49 UTC 2017

Hi Nat,

just guessing - the new OAuth security BCP recommends use of PKCE for detecting/preventing code injection attacks. That might be the reason for adding the requirement to the FAPI profile.

I know the hybrid flow („code id_token“) is an alternative countermeasure in the OIDC space. So my question is: will FAPI allow use of pure authz code flow? Then recommending PKCE for code injection makes a lot of sense.

best regards,
Torsten.