[Openid-specs-fapi] [OAUTH-WG] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-campbell-oauth-tls-client-auth-00.txt

Brian Campbell bcampbell at pingidentity.com
Fri Nov 4 21:17:54 UTC 2016

few little things inline...

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Justin Richer <jricher at mit.edu> wrote:

> I agree that the client_id is unlikely to be found inside the certificate
> itself. The client_id is issued by the authorization server for the client
> to use at that single AS. The certificate is issued by the CA for the
> client to use on any connection. The AS and CA are not likely to be the
> same system in most deployments. The client will use the same cert across
> multiple connections, possibly multiple AS's, but the same isn't true of
> the client_id.

You said it better than I.

> Additionally, I think we want to allow for a binding of a self-signed
> certificate using dynamic registration, much the way that we already allow
> binding of a client-generated JWK today.

Binding the client to a self-signed certificate is pretty similar to
binding to the public key. But I agree it should be possible.

The jwks_uri or jwks client registration metadata parameters are well
suited to convey such info. The JWKs in them can convey the public key
(obviously) but can also can convey a self-signed certificate with the
"x5c" (X.509 Certificate Chain) parameter.

> I do think that more examples and guidance are warranted, though, to help
> AS developers.

Noted.