[Openid-specs-fapi] Representing international strings

Nat Sakimura nat at sakimura.org
Thu Jul 14 05:54:54 UTC 2016

Hi

OpenID Connect introduced a variable name scheme for international
scripts. For example, a name in Katakana script in Japanese will be
represented as

 name#ja-Kana-JP

where "ja-Kana-JP" part is described in ISO script format.

My question to the list is whether do we want to continue using this
scheme even on Swagger. As swagger cannot have # in the variable name,
it would become like

 name%23ja-Kana-JP

etc. This may be OK, but there could be better ways as well, I suppose.

Another obvious ways to deal with it is to use map where the key is
going to be the script name and value is the actual value for the
parameter.

In any case, I need to find out how to put a variable as the key/name in
Swagger definition. Those who knows Swagger well, please help.

Another issue that I have in mind is that what happens if Kanji arrives
as "Name" in DDA endpoint. Would the application be OK with it or blows
up? Read only case would probably be ok, but if you wanted to send
money, for example, and there are Kanji in the Transfer message, what
would happen to the US banking system?

Do we need to mandate the current Name like string restricted to ASCII?

Best,

Nat Sakimura