[Openid-specs-fapi] "SHALL" vs. "MUST"

Brian Costello BCostello at yodlee.com
Wed Dec 7 00:03:59 UTC 2016

I ran this by a couple of contract lawyers I trust.

They use "shall"  to create ambiguity because it can mean "may" or "will".  "Must" has no ambiguity.   It also connects with rights and responsibilities.  "Must" is a responsibility and "shall" is a right, which is why there can be ambiguity.  One doesn't have to do the "shall" thing, even if there a right to do so.

It also really hinges on jurisdiction and how they have interpreted shall.

Brian