[Openid-specs-ab] App2app authorization/authentication

Joseph Heenan joseph at authlete.com
Thu Oct 3 09:57:56 UTC 2019

Hi Nov

That is a good question!

Certainly the way to do it today is very vendor specific, because my understanding is that most vendor products (at least in the versions currently deployed in the field) are very limited in the number of ways you can get them to issue an authorization code (i.e. is can be very hard to make them issue an authorization code any other way than opening the authorization endpoint in a web browser, and this scenario requires the first party app to obtain an authorization code that is then passed to the third party app). [Authlete's product is not limited in this way, and provides a lot of flexibility to issue authorization codes in appropriate ways for this scenario.]

I think it will also vary a lot depending on whether the consent screens are presented as native ui or in a browser.

Is there interest in trying to specify a vendor-neutral approach for some/all of this?

Joseph