[Openid-specs-ab] Initiating User Registration via OpenID Connect spec draft published

Filip Skokan panva.ip at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 13:23:49 UTC 2019

Hello George, everyone,

Thank you for this note, I agree this hint is useful, regardless of the
form or shape it takes - a new parameter or prompt value.

a couple points from my side

For authorization requests sent as a JWTs, such as when using JWT Secured
> Authorization Request, a single prompt parameter value is represented as a
> JSON string *while multiple values are represented as an array of
> strings.*

Aside from `resource` which is a parameter that can be passed multiple
times all parameters (with maybe claims as an exception) should be passed
as JSON primitives such as string (scope, client_id, ...) or number
(max_age) inside Request Objects. We could propose an errata on the
specific parameter handling inside Core but I think the interoperable
behaviour we have today is that parameters such as scope or prompt that
regularly get values as space-delimited string of values are passed the
same way in a Request Object. As mentioned the only exception is `claims`
which makes sense to pass as a JSON object and `resource` which is allowed
to be passed multiple times e.g.
`&resource=urn:example:foo&resource=urn:example:foo2`.

If the OpenID Provider fails to parse the provided value(s) it should
> ignore the prompt parameter value and proceed as if the prompt parameter
> was not specified.

At the moment I believe it's up to each implementer to either be strict in
checking supported `prompt` values or lax and simply ignoring unsupported
values. I think this would be worth clarifying in Core, since this and
possible future `prompt` values may have behaviours tied to them and
ignoring a provided but not supported prompt value could lead to confusion.

I'd like to propose that the draft focuses on the actual new value and its
semantics and strays away from defining new authorization request and
request object processing rules of existing parameters.

Best,
*Filip Skokan*

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 14:47, George Fletcher via Openid-specs-ab <