[Openid-specs-ab] Spec Call Notes 9-May-19

Filip Skokan panva.ip at gmail.com
Thu May 9 15:36:39 UTC 2019

Here are my notes on the new "lax" cookie sameSite value default.

>               George asked whether this might affect iframe and
> postMessage communication
>                            And whether this might affect Session Management

If cookies are set to "Lax" by default then the following will not work

   - session management 1.0 - Session Status Change Notification - OP
   cookies won't be loaded resulting in error or changed events
   - web_message response mode - simple and relay modes with no prompts -
   OP cookies won't be loaded resulting in no session being loaded and hence
   error=login_required or similar returned
   - any hidden iframe prompt=none way of refreshing tokens - OP cookies
   won't be loaded resulting in no session being loaded and hence
   error=login_required or similar returned
   - any hidden iframe prompt=none&response_type=none way of checking for
   "is the user still authenticated" - OP cookies won't be loaded resulting in
   no session being loaded and hence error=login_required or similar returned
   - frontchannel logout 1.0 - relying party iframe - RP cookies won't be
   loaded resulting in some implementations that depend on cookies to be
   loaded not being able to drop the RP session

I will be moving my OP implementation to use "None" as sameSite value for
OP Session Cookie as well Session Management Client State cookies the
moment my web framework's cookie interface allows that as value. This will
hopefully be ignored by browsers not implementing that value resulting in
the old default which is "None" implicitly and will for sure keep existing
behaviours for the browsers that do.

Best,
*Filip Skokan*

On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 17:19, Mike Jones via Openid-specs-ab <