[Openid-specs-ab] Dynamic client registration and software statements

Filip Skokan panva.ip at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:46:52 UTC 2019

Hi George,

We touched on this in the certification issue tracker

https://github.com/openid-certification/oidctest/issues/59 (initial access
token)
https://github.com/openid-certification/oidctest/issues/60 (software id)
https://github.com/openid-certification/oidctest/issues/72 (software
statement)

>From #59 by Mike

> This seems like something that could be useful for testing but it's
outside the scope of certification, since it's using functionality that's
not interoperable. An OP must support open registration to enable
certification. It's fine to also support an initial access token in the
software, as long as the deployment doesn't require it when certifying the
software.

To certify, the registration must be open at the time of certification only.

>1. Is there any best practice recommendations around OIDC dynamic client
registration. I'm specifically interested in experience where the mobile
app is using a private key generated on the device and/or use of
software_statements with OIDC.

>2. Why can't the application (once it's registered its public key) update
its configuration with a new public thus supporting key rotation? It should
be able to sign any such update with its existing private key thus making
the request secure.

It surely can, but the Update (and Delete) mechanisms aren't mentioned in
OIDC DCR at all and only come in RFC 7592 which is marked as experimental.
That being said i have seen deployments of this using my OP software
including software statements, initial access tokens, registration access
tokens and per-app private_key_jwt enabled clients that rotate its keys
when they want to.

I'm not familiar with the history of Dynamic Client Registration Management
Protocol and why it's marked as experimental or why neither RFC 7591 or
7592 aren't mentioned in the OIDC spec.

Best,
*Filip*

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 5:22 PM George Fletcher via Openid-specs-ab <