[Openid-specs-ab] More thoughts on OpenID Federation Vote

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 18 15:29:33 UTC 2018

Yes, we absolutely recommend implementation of this and all other Implementer's Drafts precisely so we can learn what works, what doesn't, what's needed, what's unnecessary, and what could be clearer.  The kinds of feedback that come from implementation and deployment are critical to creating solid, usable specifications.

Remember, there are likely to be several progressions of Implementer's Drafts for this spec before we make it a Final Specification, just as there have been with the other OpenID Connect specifications.  Feedback from implementing and deploying each one informs the content of the next, with significant changes to be expected between each one.  The first Implementer's Draft is typically the start of the feedback cycle from implementers - not the end of it.

Also, recall per the 27-Nov-17 call notes at http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20171127/006690.html, that significant discussion of the specification has been occurring in experienced federation communities worldwide and several implementations in multiple languages have been written and interop tested with one another.  This is highly visible and important work.  I personally encourage Gluu and others to implement, kick the tires, interop test, and give us your feedback while the spec is still malleable.

				Best wishes,
				-- Mike