[Openid-specs-ab] Failed Authentication Attempts

Vladimir Dzhuvinov vladimir at connect2id.com
Sat May 26 21:42:44 UTC 2018

If you're looking for a standard error code for "user failed to
authenticate (with required ACR)", access_denied appears to be the
closest and only choice. What the RP would make of that error code is
another question :)

http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#AuthError

In practice, many OPs won't send the browser back to the RP if the user
failed to authenticate, i.e. the browser will remain at the login
screen, with the user given the option for some sort of recovery and
perhaps the option to cancel the request and return to the RP.

As for login_required and interaction_required - my reading of the spec
is that these are intended for error responses to prompt=none
authentication requests and shouldn't be used to signal other conditions.

http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#AuthRequest

> none
>     The Authorization Server MUST NOT display any authentication or
>     consent user interface pages. An error is returned if an End-User
>     is not already authenticated or the Client does not have
>     pre-configured consent for the requested Claims or does not
>     fulfill other conditions for processing the request. The error
>     code will typically be login_required, interaction_required, or
>     another code defined in Section 3.1.2.6
>     <http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#AuthError>.
>     This can be used as a method to check for existing authentication
>     and/or consent.

Vladimir