[Openid-specs-ab] prompt=none, how to?

Justin Richer jricher at mit.edu
Wed Sep 6 17:00:21 UTC 2017

We use session cookies. Specifically, a random value in a session cookie tied to a server-side data structure representing the current session user. The “prompt” is all about the current session at the IdP, which is why the ID token is only a hint. Remember, the ID token is just a message from the IdP to the RP saying “log this user in”, it’s not a session indicator itself. What it allows the RP to do, in this case, is say “here’s who I think was logged in last time”. So in that case the IdP can say “the ID token is for user X but the current session is for user Y so I probably shouldn’t treat them the same even though Y has a valid session”.

But in the absence of that hint? The RP is saying “take whoever’s currently logged in”. The spec doesn’t say anything about cookies because that’s outside the protocol — it’s not part of what gets communicated between the IdP and the RP. Doesn’t mean you can’t use them, and in fact that’s how I’d imagine just about every IdP out there works.

 — Justin