[Openid-specs-ab] Single Sign-On is dead on iOS 11

Iain McGinniss iainmcgin at google.com
Tue Jun 13 21:57:39 UTC 2017

Each SFSafariViewController (SFSVC) instance is essentially a new browser,
with the following consequences:

1. If the user signs in to the OP in Safari, this signed in state is not
visible from any SFSVC instance.
2. If the user signs in via an SFSVC, this signed in state also cannot be
synchronized to Safari.

As a result, there's no shared OP session between any apps; the user must
re-authenticate with the OP within every app that uses it.

Furthermore, the Intelligent Tracking Prevention
<https://webkit.org/blog/7675/intelligent-tracking-prevention/> *may* flag
the OP domain as a capable of tracking the user, at which point any cookie
/ local storage state associated with that domain is "redacted" if the user
has not interacted with the OP domain in the last 24 hours. "Interaction"
here specifically means loading a top-level page on that domain and
clicking on something. It seems highly likely that *.google.com is going to
be marked as a tracking domain in Safari.

So, if you do anything in iframes with your OP domains (we do at Google),
your cookies are going to appear and disappear in a very unpredictable way.
Session state is going to become very unreliable.

I plan to give an impromptu short talk on these changes at CIS.

Iain

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:40 PM, rich levinson via Openid-specs-ab <