[Openid-specs-ab] Roland Hedberg's federation specification

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 12 19:17:22 UTC 2016

First, let me say that a specification needing work isn't an argument for it not being adopted by a working group - quite the contrary.  Adoption by the working group helps ensure that it gets the attention it deserves - even at an early stage.  As a point of reference, the initial specifications for what became OpenID Connect were quite different than the eventual final specifications.  Iteration of implementation, interop, and specification development helped refine it and improve it.  I expect the same to happen here.

Let me also comment on the "democratic process" remark.  All OpenID working groups operate by consensus, rather than "democracy".  We actively seek the opinions of all the participants and to understand their goals and work towards decisions that maximize consensus.  This isn't "democracy" where one votes.  Rather, we're trying for a much higher degree of consensus than would be achieved by voting.  This is true of other standards development organizations as well, for instance, the IETF.

As for participation, the OpenID process is designed to make it as easy as possible for all to participate and develop specifications that are freely available for all to use.  Anyone can join the working group for free.  OpenID foundation membership isn't even required.  For more details on how to join, please see http://openid.net/wg/connect/.

				Best wishes,
				-- Mike