[Openid-specs-ab] Announcing AppAuth for iOS, a client SDK for OAuth 2.0 and OpenID Connect

William Denniss wdenniss at google.com
Mon Feb 22 23:15:44 UTC 2016

Recently the Google Identity team open sourced AppAuth for iOS
<https://openid.github.io/AppAuth-iOS> under the OpenID Foundation.

AppAuth is a client SDK for OAuth and OpenID Connect that follows the best
practices <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-native-apps> for
doing standards-based auth in apps, including using the in-app browser tab
mode of Safari (SFSafariViewController) for user interaction, and has
in-built support for PKCE <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7636>.

You can fork the repository <https://openid.github.io/AppAuth-iOS> on
Github, and it's available as a CocoaPod
<https://cocoapods.org/pods/AppAuth>. If you have an iOS development
environment with CocoaPods, you can take it for a spin by running pod try
AppAuth from your command line (see the sample's readme
<https://github.com/openid/AppAuth-iOS/blob/master/Example/README.md> if
you do). Comprehensive API docs
<https://openid.github.io/AppAuth-iOS/docs/latest/annotated.html> are
available.

I gave a talk <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppeU8yeI_ks> at the OpenID
Summit Tokyo last year which outlines some of the motivations behind this
effort.

We contributed the code to the OIDF under the foundation's new contributor
license agreement (CLA). If you/your company have signed the CLA, feel free
to contribute by sending a pull request.  Currently myself and my colleague
Steven Wright are the maintainers, and will review all incoming pull
requests.

Thanks to the contributors on my team: Steven Wright, Iain McGinniss
and Xiangtian Dai for their hard work building the library. To Don Thibeau,
John Bradley and Adam Dawes who helped get the OpenID Foundation setup to
accept code contributions, and John Bradley and Paul Meyer who helped with
interop testing and ideas.