[Openid-specs-ab] on a-zed-p (was Re: Spec call notes 31-Aug-15)

Brian Campbell bcampbell at pingidentity.com
Tue Sep 1 14:27:44 UTC 2015

In the *normal* Connect flow Google issues ID tokens with the RP's client
id as the value for both aud and azp. Right* or wrong**, it is what they
are doing now. So the 'reject it unless you know what you're doing with it'
is probably going too far. Ignoring is probably more appropriate guidance
at this point and I suspect is what most clients are doing anyway.

* current spec does say "[azp] MAY be included even when the authorized
party is the same as the sole audience"

** there seems to be growing consensus that azp shouldn't have been in
Connect at all and I don't see any point in issuing an id token with azp =
aud