[Openid-specs-ab] Issue #974: Deprecated algorithm RSA1_5 used in spec examples and self-issued (openid/connect)

Michael Jones issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Fri Aug 14 19:54:04 UTC 2015

New issue 974: Deprecated algorithm RSA1_5 used in spec examples and self-issued
https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/issues/974/deprecated-algorithm-rsa1_5-used-in-spec

Michael Jones:

The RSAES-PKCS1-v1_5 algorithm ("RSA1_5") was removed from the W3C WebCrypto API because of known security vulnerabilities with it.  We use it in our examples in Discovery and Registration.  I'd propose that we change those examples to RSAES OAEP ("RSA-OAEP"), which is also reasonably widely supported, including by WebCrypto, and doesn't have those security problems.

A bigger concern is that we say in the self-issued description "Encrypting content to Self-Issued OPs is currently only supported when the OP's JWK key type is "RSA" and the encryption algorithm used is "RSA1_5".  We should discuss what, if anything, to do about this and whether what we do is an errata action or whether it would be part of a 1.1 spec.