[Openid-specs-ab] Spec call notes 23-Feb-15

Torsten Lodderstedt torsten at lodderstedt.net
Tue Feb 24 06:38:02 UTC 2015

 I don't understand why you want to invite a new token concept for the logout. First there was a sid. The sid alone is not enough (if the same value is used among RPs in the same session), therefore you need to introduce an audience and a digital signature. This is getting more complex with every iteration.

>From a conceptual perspective, the challenge we are facing is the OP wants to send a request to a protected resource (logout endpoint at the RP). Sounds familiar? Yes, because this is classic OAuth with the OP taking the role of the client.

I would therefore suggest to let the RP register the token it wants to get its logout endpoint invoked with. One could also use RFC 6750 mechanisms (or even pop) to carry the token in the actual logout request. The advantage of this design: this token is opaque to the OP. There is no need to specify it. The token design and how to identify the respective session at the RP is at the RP's discretion. It could just be a reference to its session database. It also could be a JWT.

kind regards,
Torsten.