[Openid-specs-ab] Questions about third party initiated login

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Fri Jun 13 22:57:53 UTC 2014

The redirect URI needs to be checked that it is inside the domain that the Client is willing to redirect to.   Typically this is some known landing page or deep link.

This sort of functionality is similar to Shibboleth target or SAML 2.0  RelayState in IdP-Initiated SSO.

After a successful authentication The client needs to create a session and redirect the user agent to the target_link_uri.

Typically a Client might use state to store the target_link_uri in the Authorization request.
Clients that support his also need to preform some sort of sanity check on the target_link_uri, and never redirect without a positive authentication response.
An attacker can always modify state as it is not signed in the request.  Generating a forged failed response can trick some SP/Clients into redirecting and that needs to be blocked.

That was one of the reasons I created. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bradley-oauth-jwt-encoded-state
As a way that a Client can prevent tampering with the target_uri (now that I think about it,  target_link_uri might be a better name to be consistent with Connect)

It may be that using signed state directly from the IdP may be a simpler solution to the problem of IdP initiated login saving a number of round trips for the most common case.

For 3rd party the way we have it in the spec with the 3rd party initiating the flow at the client and the client being responsible for protecting the user and itself from forged authentication requests.

John B.