[Openid-specs-ab] Spec call notes 10-Feb-14

Todd W Lainhart lainhart at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 11 15:07:30 UTC 2014

I'm sorry that I missed the discussion.

>                Breno asked whether having RPs have logout notification
endpoints wouldn't work better in some cases

Our implementation augments the client registration spec with a
"signout_callback_uri" for this purpose.

Todd Lainhart
Rational software
IBM Corporation
550 King Street, Littleton, MA 01460-1250
1-978-899-4705
2-276-4705 (T/L)
lainhart at us.ibm.com

From:   Mike Jones <Michael.Jones at microsoft.com>
To:     "openid-specs-ab at lists.openid.net"
<openid-specs-ab at lists.openid.net>,
Date:   02/10/2014 06:55 PM
Subject:        [Openid-specs-ab] Spec call notes 10-Feb-14
Sent by:        openid-specs-ab-bounces at lists.openid.net

Spec call notes 10-Feb-14

John Bradley
Edmund Jay
Mike Jones

Agenda:
               Connect Voting
               Open Issues
               Future Meetings
               Session Management
               Interactive Client Registration
               Call Schedule

Connect Voting:
               The voting tool will start the voting tomorrow
               It will close two weeks from then

Open Issues:
               #917 - space is deliminator while also a legal character in
client_id and session state
                              This seems like a problem we'll need to
address
                              Mike asked whether the postMessage character
set is ASCII or Unicode
                                             If Unicode, we could use a
non-ASCII separator
                                             Or we could use a different
ASCII character, such as Delete (0x7f)
                              More investigation seems like it's needed
               #915 - Computation of OP session_state in the IdP requires
origin URI
                              Todd Lainhart is to propose specific text
               #914 - Session 5 - Missing client_id parameter
                              This seems to need more discussion
               #880 - Host the endpoint
https://self-issued.me/registration/1.0/
                              This is still on John's to-do list

Future Meetings:
               Before IETF 89 in London
                              We have requested a room from noon-5
                              OpenID would take the first half, OAuth the
second
                              John will set up Eventbrite registration for
this
               During RSA in San Francisco
                              Mike still needs to investigate this
possibility - probably after Friday's IETF submission deadline

Session Management:
               Breno and Naveen had a conversation with John and Nat about
session management
               They're concerned about RPs generating a lot of traffic at
IdPs
               They believe that token caching is needed
               Mike questioned what level of the specs this should happen
at, and what we need to do
               Breno asked whether having RPs have logout notification
endpoints wouldn't work better in some cases
               John brought up that some RPs might not want to have
JavaScript
                              Devices like Layer7 intermediary devices and
other may have problems injecting JavaScript into the HTML
               Breno was also worried postMessage security vulnerabilities
                              This may mostly have to do with using
postMessage for authentication
                              All JavaScript widgets share the same
postMessage channel
                              For session management, we're only sending
"yes" or "no" so we're not leaking much information
                              Versus sending the ID Token via postMessage,
which would be a concern
               Mike plans to try to talk with Breno and Naveen in person
this week about next steps

Interactive Client Registration
               Google also discussed wanting to do dynamic client
registration for IMAP clients
               This requires user interaction, which dynamic registration
doesn't currently support
               As a side effect, they would like to also issue tokens
               They liked the software statement idea
               They only want to issue Client IDs to be created for
authenticated users
               John will think about whether and how they can accomplish
this with our existing protocol flows
                              We think that this is possible

Call Schedule:
               There's been no discussion about call times on the list so
far
               We will continue with the weekly Thursday calls for now
               People are encouraged to discuss what the right schedule is
on the list