[Openid-specs-ab] Front channel and back channel

Justin Richer jricher at mitre.org
Wed Nov 20 14:37:51 UTC 2013

Instead of burdening us with more defined terms that are used only once
here, I would concur that we ought to do a direct word replacement like
Nat suggests below. So the text in 16.4 Offline Access would become:

    When an Access Token is returned *via the user agent using the
    implicit or hybrid flow*, there is a greater risk of it being
    exposed to an attacker, who could later use it to access the
    UserInfo endpoint. If the Access Token does not enable offline
    access and the server can differentiate whether the Client request
    has been made offline or online, the risk will be substantially
    reduced. Therefore, this specification mandates ignoring the offline
    access request when the Access Token is transmitted *through the
    user agent***. Note that differentiating between online and offline
    access from the server can be difficult, especially for native
    clients. The server may well have to rely on heuristics. Also, the
    risk of exposure for the Access Token delivered *through the user
    agent* for the response types of code token and token is the same.
    Thus, the implementations should be prepared to detect *whether the
    Access Token was issued through the user agent or directly through
    from the Token Endpoint* and deny offline access if the token was
    issued *through the user agent*.

  -- Justin