[Openid-specs-ab] Whether to allow http redirection URIs for confidential clients

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Thu Oct 24 18:54:03 UTC 2013

Sorry yes it went back and forth.

The question is if we should override the OAuth RFC's requirement for TLS on the client in favour of allowing adoption of connect by those web sites that don't implement TLS for login and session cookies.

If a site has no TLS and can have it's cookies and passwords leaked, then Connect without TLS is arguably no worse than the current situation and arguably better because at-least the user is not leaking the password.

So do we allow the bad thing to prevent the worse thing?

This makes code more likely to leak, and there is no real protection possible other than using a hmac of the device fingerprint as the nonce,  but a TLS cert for the client is much simpler.

John B.