[Openid-specs-ab] HTTP form HTML POST binding identifier

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 18 21:47:58 UTC 2013

Names that have been proposed so far are:
                POST
                html_form
                html
                form_post
SAML calls this binding "HTTP POST" (see http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/v2.0/saml-bindings-2.0-os.pdf Section 3.5).
WS-Federation doesn't appear to explicitly name the binding (see http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsfed/federation/v1.2/os/ws-federation-1.2-spec-os.html#_Toc223175014) but also says that the HTTP form is sent via HTTP POST.

Given that colloquially, people tend to refer to this binding as a POST binding, I think we really want to keep POST in the name.  I'll grant Nat's point that just "POST" is probably misleading.  Therefore, I think we should choose from among these names:
                form_post
                html_post
                http_post

I prefer "form_post" from among these choices because it clearly differentiates it from just simply using the HTTP POST verb, by saying what is being posted.  "html_post" is less specific and odd sounding.  "http_post" sounds like we're just using the HTTP POST verb, and so is misleading in the same way that simply "POST" is.

So I'd choose "form_post".  Are people good with that, or do people want to advocate a different name?  (If so, please say why.)