[Openid-specs-ab] proposed POST response type for OAuth/Connect

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 18 07:02:48 UTC 2013

As Breno suggested, I've made the proposed changes to the Multiple Response Types spec.  These changes do two things:

1.      Disentangle the specification of what parameters are to be returned (which is done with the response_type parameter) from the specification of how they are to be returned (which is done with the response_encoding parameter).

2.      Define a POST response encoding that can be used to request that parameters be returned via form POST.

The response_encoding parameter is only used when a non-default encoding is requested, so these changes will no effect on current implementations.

I've posted an updated version at http://self-issued.info/docs/oauth-v2-multiple-response-types-1_0-17-Oct-13.html.  The .xml source is posted there as well.  Also, diffs from the current BitBucket version<http://openid.bitbucket.org/oauth-v2-multiple-response-types-1_0.html> can be viewed as tracked changes in the Word version at http://self-issued.info/docs/oauth-v2-multiple-response-types-1_0-17-Oct-13-diffs.docx.

Tomorrow I'll review the current Connect specs and make the following related proposed changes:

*        Add the response_encodings_supported discovery parameter.

*        Review the places where fragment encoding is explicitly or implicitly specified, making sure the language doesn't prohibit using the POST response encoding instead.  (Note that we should do this now, even should we don't adopt POST as part of the core now, so we don't preclude it in the future.)
(I'd make these changes now, but it's probably better that I do it when I'm not tired.)

Anyway, this wasn't hard and the result isn't difficult to understand or implement.  (And implementation will remain optional.)

Thanks to Breno, John, and Brian for the feedback on how this should work.  Thanks especially to Brian for posting his draft, which I borrowed some text and the example from.

                                                            -- Mike