[Openid-specs-ab] Spec call notes 17-Oct-13

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 17 21:20:29 UTC 2013

Nat, please permit me to respond to a few of your points below.

About being feature frozen:  Yes, we'd agreed to not break existing implementations after the Implementer's Drafts without compelling reasons to do so, but no we've never agreed that we're feature frozen.  As evidence to that effect, we've added functionality in response to all of these issues: #867, #875, #878, and clarified the normative text for several more.  So a process argument that we've decided not to add any functionality doesn't hold water.

About what the working group can do on Monday:  At every in-person working group meeting, we've made decisions that normatively affect the specs and made other working group decisions, such as about timelines, etc.  So a process argument that we can't make any decisions on Monday also doesn't match the working group's history.  Yes, we've always posted notes from the meetings to let people who didn't attend also weigh in, and we'll of course do that this time.  But if the working group members assembled can't make decisions, there's not much point in meeting.  Finally, in practice, I'll note that we always have far more input on decisions made at the working group meetings, if you count the number of participants, than decisions made on the calls, or on the mailing list.

As for having time to review, I plan to get proposed text changes out today.  Unless people shock me by suddenly posting all of their proposed changes resulting from their spec reviews in the next few hours, there will be more time to review the proposed changes I'm writing up than others that people will propose.

As for timelines, if we follow this timeline, we'll still be able to have approved specs by the end of the year:

                Thu, Oct 24:        WG consensus to publish proposed final specs and notice to the OIDF Secretary
                Fri, Oct 25:           Final review period starts and first voting notice made
                Tue, Dec 10:       Second voting notice and opening of early voting
                Tue, Dec 24:       Review period ends and vote to approve final specifications officially starts
                Tue, Dec 31         Final specifications approved

So, at least in my mind, process arguments won't help decide this one way or another.  The working group has the freedom to do what it considers to be the right thing, and the time to do it, and still finish the specs by the end of the year (which I think is the goal you're striving for, Nat).

                                                                -- Mike

P.S.  As for Google's postMessage binding, they're not using the fragment encoding.  They're passing the values back via PostMessage.  And they're indicating the use of the alternative transport by using "response_type=postMessage" and passing the postMessage endpoint via an "origin" parameter.  (I asked Breno about it this morning.)   Breno isn't proposing that we standardize exactly that or that we standardize a postMessage binding now.