[Openid-specs-ab] Introspection Profile for OpenID Connect

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Fri Sep 13 16:51:43 UTC 2013

The JWT is returned on the authorization response or on the response from the token endpoint.   There is no need to introspect the access token to get it.   The access token is not guaranteed to be tightly bound to the session.    If the client can't validate signatures then using the code flow and getting the id_token from the token endpoint lets them use it by just decoding the base64url encoding.   Creating a introspection  endpoint for id_tokens that would only do base64url decoding was scrapped in the spec about a year ago as not useful, and just another endpoint for Idp to implement.