[Openid-specs-ab] Spec call notes 5-Sep-13

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 5 15:01:02 UTC 2013

Spec call notes 5-Sep-13

Nat Sakimura
Mike Jones
George Fletcher
John Bradley
Tony Nadalin
Justin Richer
Edmund Jay

Agenda:
               Pre-IIW Meeting
               Possible Pre-IETF 88 Meeting
               Document Structuring
               Open Issues

Pre-IIW Meeting:
               We will have several topics

Possible Pre-IETF 88 Meeting:
               We will ask on the list

Document Structuring:
               We reviewed Nat's first stab at http://nat.sakimura.org/2013/08/27/refactoring-openid-connect-drafts/
               Justin suggested combining Authentication Core and Authentication Implicit
               Security and Privacy Considerations are still missing from this
               Nat didn't yet have time to do the exercise of combining Messages and Standard
               George suggested that we could keep the organization that Nat has done but produce a single concatenated version
               George suggested that we could write a guide
               Justin suggested that we could write the guide as a set of wiki pages that refer to spec sections
               Nat said that we could name documents as Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.
               John suggested having a single document with modular chapters that could be considered standalone documents
               Mike said that the criticism he's heard most is that there are too many documents
               Mike said that he'd like to see the combined document
               Tony said that there is no place to start
               Nat also proposes to delete the Basic and Implicit specs
               Mike suggested that we have a "Getting Started" doc - Tony said that it could be called "Read Me First"
               Mike asked if Nat could produce a stab at the combined document
                              He agreed that he would
                              Then we could ask people on the list what they think of the different choices
               Tony said that SAML reorganized to combine about 20 documents into about 4
               Tony said that there isn't a simple way to understand conformance
                              Nat said that he hasn't included the Implementation Considerations section yet
                              Implementation Considerations could be renamed Conformance
               We will devote the next call after Nat produces the combined spec to continuing the discussion
               Tony said that SAML has a separate conformance doc
                              It describes different implementations, such as SSO profile
                              John said that that's where the conformance profiles are defined
                              Nat said that he'd prefer that we have a separate conformance document

Open Issues:
               There are no new open issues