[Openid-specs-ab] .well-known in OIDC Discovery

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Mon Jul 29 13:45:42 UTC 2013

We could have made the issuer a full path to the discovery document.  The decision was to make the issuer shorter by placing the discovery document at a well known location relative to the issuer URI.   The .well-known directory is a place where system configuration files are likely to live.  Some large IdP may be using smart TLS terminators to direct this to a compleatly separate server from regular content.   Putting the config there seemed to make administrative sense.

Later in the process supporting multi-tennent per domain name was identified as important.   That was when paths were allowed in the issuer as there were originally not part of the issuer.
Adding the same relative path to the URI containing a path made the client processing easier and did not change the simple case

John