[Openid-specs-ab] .well-known in OIDC Discovery

Torsten Lodderstedt torsten at lodderstedt.net
Mon Jul 29 13:09:05 UTC 2013

I don't get that argument. From my perspective, using .well-known
makes sense if one does not use any other discovery mechanism. Then
./well-known allows to place meta data at a certain location (root
folder) on a host. That's simple.

OIDC works completely different as
it allows to place this data anywhere (with respect to the URL) and
discovers this location.

Am 29.07.2013 14:55, schrieb Nat Sakimura:

> General answer, I guess, is that we wanted to minimize the URI
pollution - that we should confine the URI pollution just withing
.well-known folders.

<torsten at lodderstedt.net>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just took a look on the
OIDC discovery spec. Why does it use .well-known? I'm asking since it
deviates from the RFC in that it allows for path components (in order to
support multi-tenancy) and the URL itself is either discovered via
WebFinger or obtained out of band. Why not just obtain the connect
config base URL that way and directly request the metadata. What is the
value of adding "/.well-known" to the URL?

>> regards,

Torsten.

http://nat.sakimura.org/ [2]
> @_nat_en