[Openid-specs-ab] amr vs acr

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 01:06:19 UTC 2013

Ah, that's the call in the morning of the JICS that you did in the 11th
floor of NII.
I came in late, sitting at a different table that hearing to the call was a
bit hard but did not mind as I was very much distracted by various things
to be dealt with JICS.

I remember talking about changing 1,2,3,4 as it became non-compliant to the
RFC, as well as arguing against conflating authentication method with the
authentication class, on the basis that authentication method by itself is
useless and harmful, as in the previous mail. I mistakingly thought that I
have killed the idea of amr, which apparently was not.

Unfortunately, the discussion is not recorded in
http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20130304/003231.html.

Probably, we should add some warning text to amr then. At the end of the
definition of arm, how about adding the following?

When using amr, the RP and OP MUST define the common context including the
meaning, security characteristics, and the compliance requirement for using
it and the RP MUST be able to evaluate the values according to the defined
context.

That would mitigate my worries.