[Openid-specs-ab] Next steps: Extension ideas

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Sat May 11 05:44:29 UTC 2013

I've thought about this today and while my reaction may surprise you, I feel pretty strongly about it.  I think that we *should not* jump right into defining new Connect extensions because it would send the wrong message to the marketplace.  It would be easy for us to stall adoption by having people think "Connect is fine but I'll wait until extension X is done before deploying".  Rather, we should be clearly communicating that "OpenID Connect is done - build it, deploy it, and it will solve problems for you now."

If we want to move on to new work, I'd suggest that many of us focus our energies on *finishing* something else important that we've already started - Account Chooser.  In particular, while there is a site and a JavaScript file, there isn't a standard.  That needs to happen.  Let's do that before any Connect extensions.

We need to establish a reputation for finishing what we start.  That's far more important than starting more things.

                                                            -- Mike