[Openid-specs-ab] Determining OP Issuer

Justin Richer jricher at mitre.org
Thu Apr 4 14:01:58 UTC 2013

As I read it (and as I've been implementing it), there are really two
steps to the OpenID Connect discovery process.

Step 1: Find out the "issuer"

If the user is typing something in to a web form, you use Webfinger to
turn what they typed into an issuer URL. You could bypass this step in
several ways:
  - by just going straight to a pre-configured URL (if you know who you
want to talk to)
  - by pulling the "iss" claim out of a presented id_token
  - magic

Step 2: Find out the server configuration (endpoints, keys, etc) for a
given issuer

This is where the "GET {iss}/.well-known/openid-configuration" step
comes into play. You could bypass this also by statically configuring
connection information, if you have it.

So to answer Tim's question as I understand it, you can easily bypass
step 1 if you already have the issuer, but you probably won't bypass
step 2. You validate the signature of the token by checking its {iss}
field, seeing if it's an issuer you trust, then getting the key for that
issuer and doing math to it.

  -- Justin