[Openid-specs-ab] jku and x5u

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 2 18:49:52 UTC 2013

There's different cases.  If it points to a certificate chain and you validate the certificate chain and decide to trust it, you can verify that the signature was made with the private key corresponding to the pub key contained in the cert.  This kind of trust rests on PKIX.

If the URL points to a site you trust such as example.com, you can choose to trust the keys based upon them being stored somewhere under https://example.com/.  This kind of trust falls back on trusting DNS and TLS.

Sometimes, however, all you're after from "trust" is knowing that this was the same entity as in a previous interaction, in which case bare keys without a trust chain will do fine.  This kind of trust may just require tracking that the same (or related) keys were used for successive interactions.

Others may have more to add, but that's a quick brain dump...

                                                                -- Mike