[Openid-specs-ab] OpenID Connect and Identity Delegation

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 29 00:13:23 UTC 2013

"azp" isn't an OAuth construct - it's an OpenID Connect construct that we've defined (although apparently not precisely enough that we have broad agreement on what it means and how it's used).  I think the outcome of this thread should be to clarify the definition so others will understand better what was intended and what wasn't.

My logic is that if it was legitimate to just hand off the token from one client to another without any indication that it's OK to do so, we wouldn't need "azp" at all; we'd just give the token to the other presenter and it would happily use it.  "azp" is there as a declaration that, in this particular case, the handoff was authorized, and that that the party identified in the "azp" claim is a legitimate presenter, even though it was not the requester of the token.  Hence, without "azp", the token is scoped to the requesting client as the sole authorized presenter.

In summary, if handoff to arbitrary parties was OK, we wouldn't need "azp" in the first place.

                                                                -- Mike