[Openid-specs-ab] [openid/connect] Messages 2.5.2 - Example for accessing language-tagged claims (issue #810)

Justin Richer issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Thu Mar 14 19:23:51 UTC 2013

--- you can reply above this line ---

New issue 810: Messages 2.5.2 - Example for accessing language-tagged claims
https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/issue/810/messages-252-example-for-accessing

Justin Richer:

The use of the hashtag (#) to mark language/script in human-readable claims doesn't play well with object-based field access in most programming languages. While this is still a valid JSON member name, and all languages have *some* means of accessing the values, there is an inherent limitation in what many programmers will expect to be available for their parsed objects.

So for the JSON:

 { "client_name": "Test Client", "client_name#en-us": "Test Client" }

You get a JSON object with two members, one of which can be access as:

  object.client_name => "Test Client"

or its equivalent. But the other must be accessed as:

  object["client_name#en-us"] => "Test Client"

or its equivalent.

To combat this, we could change how we do language tags (not really a good idea, because the "-" character is also invalid in many languages for a member name), or we could simply add a quick example in a common programming language, like JavaScript, to call out this limitation.

following the issue.