[Openid-specs-ab] Connect Working Group Meeting at Google 22-Oct-12

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 24 07:06:04 UTC 2012

Sorry you weren't able to make it as well.

For #633, only X.509 is MTI for servers.  Chuck and Brian, among others, felt that for the next several years, while there is readily available tooling for generating and maintaining keys in X.509 format, the same will not be the case for JWK keys.  This would, in practice, require another step of generating keys using openssl, etc. and then translating the key format, which seemed unnecessary.

For #668, there was substantial discussion of the possibility of mitigating token bloating by introducing a userinfo token and another set of response_type values.  People felt that they'd rather have the bloat, even in the hint case, than introduce that additional complexity.

Several people said that ideally, self-issued would use a general mechanism (not OpenID or OAuth specific) to let RPs fetch the UserInfo content directly from the phone.  Once such a mechanism is developed (if it ever is), they felt that OpenID Connect should use it to retrieve the UserInfo content.  Until then, the (bloated) ID token seems like the best available solution in the meantime.

For #653, no validation rules were discussed.  Instead, the discussion centered on the fact that we have to trust OPs and RPs to do the right things with respect to privacy anyway, and if they're not trustworthy in that way, they can't be relied on to display the policy_url in the first place, so a MUST would add no practical value.

Yes, it seems like people would like to define a tos_url.

                                                            -- Mike