[Openid-specs-ab] [openid/connect] Messages, Multi Response - Cope with bloating id_token_hint in self-issued cases (issue #668)

Nat Sakimura issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Thu Oct 18 05:31:27 UTC 2012

--- you can reply above this line ---

New issue 668: Messages,Multi Response - Cope with bloating id_token_hint in self-issued cases
https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/issue/668/messages-multi-response-cope-with-bloating

Nat Sakimura:

The idea of userinfo_token has been rejected in the past saying that claims can be introduced to id_token.

Including claims in id_token is fine as long as we do not send it as hint (id_token_hint). After having built an implementation, we now feel that it is a bit of pain not to have userinfo_token, especially, in the cases such that user's picture is included in the id_token claims, as the size becomes a performance issue.

One could argue that one should only include picture URL, but this defeats the purpose of self-issued OP as that picture url will act as a global identifier.

It seems in such cases, we may want to have userinfo_token so that the claims can be sent outside of id_token.

I would appreciate the WG to discuss this issue in the coming F2F.

following the issue.