[Openid-specs-ab] client_credentials grant_type

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Mon Sep 17 03:01:25 UTC 2012

Last week I had several conversations with FICAM people around OAuth and Connect.

One thing that they do and is also not uncommon in enterprises is permission access based on client credentials.
Think SAML Attribute query.

We do have that in OAuth 2.0.

One thing we don't say in Connect is how to support that grant_type.

It seems fairly strait forward that you would have a scope of openid and any other user_info related scopes, that nonce and state are not required.
Returning a id_token probably doesn't make sense.

To specify the user who is the subject we already have a way of passing the required user_id in the request object.

I can see this being useful to compliment or replace a SAML/SOAP flow.

We don't specifically talk about this or the Resource owner Password credentials Grant.

As long as we don't do something in the core specs to preclude them we could put them in a separate profile as they are sort of special case.