[Openid-specs-ab] OpenID Connect + OAuth to cross domains

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 07:54:49 UTC 2012

Thanks Justin. This is very useful.

One of the shortcoming of the OAuth 2.0 is that it does not define
authentication endpoint explicitly. In OAuth, client goes to
authorization endpoint, and if he is not authenticated at the time, he
is redirected in a proprietary protocol to the authentication
endpoint. Then, the user provides credentials to get authenticated,
and returned to another endpoint, likely to be the authorization
endpoint, through yet another proprietary protocol, to authorize the
resource access.

My interpretation of what you have done here is to use OpenID Connect
instead of the proprietary protocol above.

By delegating the authorization to the OIDC server would optimize the
authorization, especially when there are multiple resources from
different domains are involved. That's what UMA is trying to solve, I
think.

Nat