[Openid-specs-ab] Refreshing ID Tokens

Torsten Lodderstedt torsten at lodderstedt.net
Sun Jul 29 21:25:05 UTC 2012

Hi Nat,

my assumption is that an app uses the code flow for initial login.
Afterwards, it uses the refresh token during subsequent app startups to
obtain fresh user data. I would assume it to query user info and obtain
a new id token. So in my interpretation, the refresh token is merely a
persistent cookie representing a long-term login.

One thing came into my mind: Since an app is typically _not_ attached to
a web SSO session, all id tokens created based on a particular refresh
token would contain the same data (of the intial authentication
transaction). So the id token might only be useful during intial login
to prevent token substitution and to check the user_id  obtained from
user info. Fresh user data can be obtained purely based on the access token.

Is this the way you envision usage of connect for apps?

regards,
Torsten.