[Openid-specs-ab] JWK clarification

Dingwell, Robert A. bobd at mitre.org
Wed Jun 27 16:03:35 UTC 2012

If I remember correctly the initial version of the JWK format specified the format as being an array of keys but the latest version of the JWK spec appears to have broken that idea out to where there is the key format and set format.

As both the client and the server have the option of providing signing and encrypting keys in JWK format are the urls for those keys intended to be a single JWK or a JWK set? Seeing how the specifications states that if both X509 and JWK urls are provided they must be the same key makes me believe that the url would point to a single key.  If it is a set how would one determine which key to use in the set considering that the set could contain a number of keys that are marked as signing or encrypting keys?

Rob