[Openid-specs-ab] Nonce and Authorization flow vs Implicit flow

Magnus Andersson magnus.andersson at solvies.se
Wed Jun 6 21:33:21 UTC 2012

Hi everyone

First a short introduction: My name is Magnus, I'm currently implementing
an OpenID Connect server as per the draft specifications. I have a concern
about the recent update to the drafts where nonce is removed from basic
profile authorization request.

As I read it after the last update, I can not longer determine which
request parameters are allowed/should to be present for the authorize
endpoint until after I have read the content of response_type and thus
determined if the flow is the 'implicit flow' or 'code flow'. The spec *
openid-connect-implicit* have nonce listed as OPTIONAL but the *
openid-connect-basic* does not expect it to be present at all.

Common validation libraries in web frameworks won't easily handle when the
presence of one request parameter directly depends on another parameter's
data. It also suggests too many responsibilities, in my opinion. This makes
implementation unnecessarily complex.

If I'm missing something obvious please tell. I'm very new
to OpenID Connect so I recognize I might have missed something obvious.

If I am on to something I would suggest:
*either* option to have two different endpoints in the Discovery service
for authorization, one for each of the two different kinds of authorization
flows
*or* only one single set of required/optional parameters per endpoint
regardless of how many flows it supports.

My preference is the first alternative as it would reflect how the specs
are split up today and make flows more visible. To me it is non-obvious
what stipulates code flow or implicit flow mode, I have had to read both
documents and compare to figure out what the difference is.

Kind regards
Magnus Andersson

--

Magnus Andersson