[Openid-specs-ab] Spec call notes 7-Jun-12

Dingwell, Robert A. bobd at mitre.org
Fri Jun 8 15:43:18 UTC 2012

I would also like to echo Justin sentiments on this issue, this seems like a step backwards and does not allow for a easy path forward to integrate OIDC idP's  into systems that already rely on a username type claim.

While I work at MITRE I am actually on a different project than that of Justin. My project is currently using/profiling the use of OpenID Connect as a means to provide distributed identity and authentication across the Healthcare Domain for the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC)  under the Nationwide Health Information Network (NwHIN ).   As part of our profile for OIDC there will be a required claim of username for identifying users across multiple local health domains.  This lets us integrate and use existing identifiers  already declared in other NwHIN projects based on username at healthdomain semantics.  For us a username is an absolutely must have claim and our profile will require it's use.   It's that or we are forced to use the user_id field for such requirements because nobody wants to use lkasdf66778asdf6asd55ksdksdf7 at example.com as an identifier to remember.

Additionally I would like to add that there is already implicitly declared the need for a username in the discovery protocol and  specification for that has examples showing it's use.  Whether or not it has been called that or not that is essentially what it is . What else would the joe in joe at example.com be.   The discover protocol states that while using an email address for discovery the principle is the full email address and that idP is the host  section  of that address.  So what does that make "joe".

You cannot just pull this out of the email address for a user.  The email addresses are not scoped to the domain of the idP and multiple users could have the same username portion of an email address just at different hosts, joe at hotmail.com vs joe @gmail.com vs joe at example.com.  I cannot see how including a username claim adds more confusion when not having one makes parts of the specs already written  vastly more confusing without it.

Also on a side tangent though somewhat related by way of the discovery specs. how do you verify a person is who they have claimed to be during discovery?  If I put into a form an email address identifier that then on the backend uses discovery to find the idP and redirect me to authenticate how does the RP know that is who I actually authenticated as at the idP?  There appears to be a step missing here that would allow the RP to know who actually authenticated. Otherwise I could put in joe at example.com but authenticate as joes_evil_twin at example.com and there does not appear to be away to verify that I actually authenticated as joe and not his evil twin.  If there was a username claim that could resolve some of this, but is should be baked into the authorization request somehow.

Rob