[Openid-specs-ab] Please respond: poll on claims_in_id_token switch in the scope

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 7 15:36:52 UTC 2012

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement than an ID Token with claims is a different kind of token from one which doesn't include them.  I believe that looking at the general case, which is using the OpenID Request Object, will help illustrate why I believe that this is the case.

Both the ID Token and the UserInfo endpoint return claims.  There are sections of the OpenID Request Object for requesting claims for each location.  For instance, the following request object body requests that the "email" and "email_verified" claims be returned in both locations:

{"id_token":{
    "claims":
        {"email": null},
         "email_verified": null}),
"userinfo":{
    "claims":
        {"email": null,
         "email_verified": null }}
}

Whether the "email" and "email_verified" claims are present in the ID Token doesn't make it a different kind of token.  It just changes the claims present in the ID Token.  One thing that becomes apparent when considering things in this manner is that no new response types are needed to return requested claims in the ID token.

I think it would be useful for people to first work out their request examples as OpenID Request Objects and *then* consider what shorthands we want to have to achieve those same things for simple cases without using an OpenID Request Object (if any).  The Request Object is the general case, and the architecture should derive from it.  Anything expressible in the shorthand syntax must also be (naturally) expressible in the general form.

                                                            -- Mike